Italian Greyhounds at a glance...
• Smallest of the sighthounds.
• Typically weighing about 3.6 to 8.2 kg.
• Standing about 33 to 38 cm tall at the wither.
• They are true genetic greyhounds their bloodline extends back over 2000 years.
• Their gait is distinctive, high stepping and free, rather like that of a horse.
• Can run at a top speed of up to 40 km.
• A good companion dog.
• Enjoys the company of people and a quiet household.
• Is good with the elderly or a family with older children.
• Loves daily exercise and are well suited to lure coursing.
• Keen watchdogs as they bark at unfamiliar sounds but they are easily spooked.
• They have an extremely high predator drive should typically be kept leashed at all times when not in an enclosed area.
• Extremely short and almost odourless coat.
• Requires an occasional bath about once a month.
• Teeth should be brushed daily.
• Claws need to be trimmed regularly.
• Lifespans of up to 15 years.
• Prone to broken legs.
• Susceptible to periodontal disease.